Monday, June 22, 2015


                                  


Well here  we are.....the Grand Finale!!!

It has been a short but jammed packed 6 weeks.  Packed full of educational challenges, failures and successes.  I have learned my weaknesses and my strengths.  It has definitely been an eye opener.  To anyone that intends on taking this class I would suggest a full term , not a summer term and if possible not on-line.  I would have much rather had a classroom setting especially with the collaboration projects.  Sometimes it is hard to get people motivated when working as a team.  I feel that if these individuals had been face to face they could not have avoided or dragged their feet without some more accountability.  All in all though we made it through it.  They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, in this case I would have to agree.  I was very intimidated at times with some of the assignments.  I felt lost, did not know where to begin.  It made me dive in with both feet and charge forward.  Now I know I have some new skills to add to my arsenal for teaching, and there are those I will need to work a little harder on.  It's a start though.  I am looking forward to utilizing some of these new skills in my future classroom.

Lets take a look back at the lessons and accomplishments I have had through this course.



Week One:
Chapter 1 : Becoming a 21st Century Teacher
This chapter was an introduction to technology and teaching.  Technology is all around us.  Everyone is using it, why not take that knowledge and put it to good use.  Children today are into using technology; computers, iPads, smartphones, video games, internet and so much more.  It only makes sense to use the tools that they are so accustomed to and incorporate them into learning.  What better way to get their attention! I guess being an older student myself I never approached it in that way, but it makes perfect sense.  It is as if we are meeting them on their turf.  Make them want to learn, engage them with the use of their tools.
Chapter 2: Understanding Educational Technology Issues and Trends
This chapter was geared towards using the technology to teach.  Basically, how to do this and the skills required by the teacher to be able to pull it off.  Obviously, you can't teach someone if you have no idea how to use the tool yourself.  It also talks about the barriers of using technology.  For example; limited access to tools, or internet.  School constraints, budget issues and even social economic issues.  Not all students have access at home.  This gives a student with the means an advantage over that child that does not.  How do we address this?  How do we even the playing field?  These are only some of the issues we face when using technology in the classroom.
Week one also included my first blog assignment.  That was scary.  I had no idea what a blog was.  I went through each example from Mrs. Coleman, then I had to get my feet wet.  It was challenging, cause I had no idea what I was doing.  I did find that as I kept trying it got easier.  Also, I did find it was more interesting to complete the blog to show what you got from the chapter reading rather than a quiz.  It gave you an opportunity to be creative.



Week Two:
Chapter 3: Transforming Learning with Unique, Powerful Technology
This chapter introduced us to Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism and Constructionism learning theories.  I had seen them before but didn't really pay much attention to them.  These theories are interesting.  I can see how you could favor one over another.  I personally lean towards constructionism.  I can listen to instructions but then I have to put my hands on it before the instructor moves on to make sure I understand what is expected of me.  Doing is the best type of learning for me.  This chapter is full of many important concepts such as critically thinking, problem solving and so on.
Chapter 5: Teaching Information Literacy and Digital Citizenship
This chapter talked about resources on the internet.  It made us look at the importance of evaluating the resources you take from the web.  I honestly never thought about this.  In the past I have just taken the information off the web and took it as valuable.  I never thought about bias, or misleading due to paid advertising. Plus I didn't even know that some information is just posted out there by anyone.  Just because it is on the internet doesn't make it true.
Our next big assignment was to evaluate 3 websites.  To come up with a rubric to grade these sites and then to actually complete the rubric for each.  It was a real learning experience for me.  Glad I had to do this one. 


 

Week 3:
Chapter 7: Exploring Problem Solving with Software, Apps, and Games
Chapter 7 talked about an area I was already familiar with.  I had the opportunity to being introduced to some of these learning game software programs through the Elementary school my daughter attends.  She uses a few of these sites almost daily, even at home.  The nice part is that she chooses to go onto them.  She has fun, while learning.  To me this is a win win situation!  There are no losers here.  The kids love their games and as teachers and parents we love the fact that they are learning.  There does have to be a balance though.  Everything can't be a video game. Students need to be able to learn from text books too.  A balance between them both is a great thing.
Chapter 8: Communicating and Collaborating with Social Media
This was an introduction to communication between teacher and student using blogs, websites, email, wikis and other online discussion tools.  Interesting stuff, many of which I was unaware of.  Wikis was a real surprise to me.  Never heard of it before.  A wiki was on top of the list.  Our big assignment this week was a collaborative wiki with a group of 4-5 class mates.  It proved to be a bit of a challenge at first.  The easy part was the fact that we each had a page of the wiki in which we were solely responsible for, the resource page and home/introduction page was the collaborative part of the assignment.  This proved to be a little harder but once we got the ball rolling it all came together.  I learned a lot from this project.  Also, it is good to work in a group at times due to the fact that you need to learn to work together and the end result can be great if you work on each others strengths.

Week 4:
Chapter 6: Fostering Online Learning with Educational Websites and Apps
This chapter talked about bookmarking websites.  This really makes it easier to access your favorite websites in a much easier way.  I really like the idea of an on-line bookmarking account.  So many times I am at another computer and I don't have my favorites saved to that computer.  I have to look them up and search and then sign on to them,  If I had an on-line bookmarking account I'd always have my favorites at my fingertips.  We also learned about WebQuests.  Never heard of this before this assignment.  What a challenge.
Chapter 10:Promoting Success for All Students through Technology
This chapter talks about technology reaching all students, no mater their background or culture.  Use technology to cross the cultures and communities to promote learning for all.  Talked about differentiated instruction, which is promoting instructional teaching to reach all students while meeting all of their needs to be successful.  Introduced some assistive technology, very interesting. 
Creating this week's major project was one of my favorite.  It was a great challenge but I enjoyed it.  I hit some hurdles but was able to work my way through them.  I look forward to being able to adapt a webquest for my future classroom.  It was fun to create and I believe it can be a fun learning tool.


My webquest


Week 5:
Chapter 4: Designing Lessons and Developing Curriculum with Technology
This chapter talked about designing lesson plans using technology.  Using technology to enhance and engage the student and their learning.  Great concept, not always easy to do.  I do see the value in this, and hope that I am able to accomplish this in my classroom.  Students really respond to using the computer and the internet.  As a teacher you need to use this desire to the benefit of learning.  You also need to keep them on track.  One thing I did learn about was on-line assessment programs.  I like this concept.  I am interested in looking into this subject some more.  As part of my discussion pages I talked about response clickers where the students could answer questions on the presentation.  This data could be recorded both together as a whole and individually to the student.  I liked this concept.  It seemed like it could really add to lectures and presentations.
Chapter 9: Expressing Creativity with Multimedia Technologies
This chapter presented technologies such as interactive whiteboards, computers with internet access, software programs, digital projectors, cameras and voice recorders.  Just to name a few items.
Also, went through each and the value they add to the classroom and the teaching/learning opportunities.  I have been experienced with powerpoint, but never thought about using a digital camera or video recorder to complete a presentation, interesting concept.  Here is where I was first introduced to virtual tours or field trips. This intrigued me.  In fact, it made such an impact on me that I suggested a virtual tour for our collaborative lesson plan.  This week's major project proved to be a great challenge.  Again, this was a collaborative project.  Getting the team together just to begin was a major hurdle for me.  It took persistence on my part, but finally someone responded.  I found this part of the project a huge frustration.  I like to have my work done and handed in early.  So it took a great deal for me to be patient.  Then to actually get working on something took a couple of days.  By Thursday, we were off and running.  In the end most of the team did a great deal of work and great team work together.  Unfortunately, we had one member that had waited to the last minute to join in, by that time we had already completed the project.  Overall, it was a great learning opportunity.  I got to work with some really creative and smart people.  I had some frustration with the process but in the end I learned I need to have patience and to value everyone's skills and creativity.

Week 6:
Chapter 11: Engaging Students in Performance Assessment and Reflective Learning
Here is where I was introduced to the teaching portfolio.  What a great thing to have.  I also like the idea of adapting it to the student to make a portfolio of learning.  Great tool to show them all the things they have learned through the year.  Also, nice to share with the parents.  Allows the creator to be very creative and show their skills.
Chapter 12: Integrating Technology and Creating Change as Teacher Leaders
The stages of integrating technology in the classroom was reviewed here.  Talked about the possible issues you can encounter when doing this. Examples; not have access for all, limitations of school budgeting. Talked about bringing in your own devise.  The issues that present when you do this, such as the student that can't bring in a device, then fact that you can't put spy wear programs on their devices.  Cooperative or collaborative learning is discussed.  Sometimes difficult to get started but a great learning opportunity for all.  Good teamwork is key for this to work.
Our last major project this week was to put together a teacher portfolio.  I found this to be fun and very educational.  I spent many hours completing this project but I was happy with the end result.  It turned out to be a neat way to present my capabilities and learning to others.  I will definitely use this in the future.

My weebly.

In addition to all of the above listed assignments, every week we also completed a discussion board on set topics. This proved to be a great opportunity to share your knowledge, research and ideas on different topics with the class.  I enjoyed reading things posted by my fellow class mates.  Also, I liked to see their comments on my posts.  This is a great learning tool.

As you can see this class is definitely jammed packed with information and learning opportunities.  My advice is to be ready to put some major time and hard work in, but the end result is worth every minute because you will learn some value ideas, tools and education!  The only suggestion I would make is on the collaborative lesson plan, have a set plan for communication of the team and check point times for accountability.  I understand the idea is that we are all suppose to be teachers.  Teachers who will be completing lesson plans and teaching, who need to be self starters and self motivating.  Unfortunately, I don't think everyone is in that mind set yet.

I am looking forward to the next challenge around the corner.  I am sure there will be many more as I start the bachelor program for Elementary Education in the fall.  I am thankful for being pushed so hard in this class.  It has shown me some really neat things that I am eager to use again.  Thank you.


 

Resources:

Edwards, Sharon A., Maloy, Robert W., Verock-O’Loughlin, Ruth-Ellen., and Woolf, Beverly Park. Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd edition. 2014.

grand finale free clip art. http://www.bing.com/images

Me & Technology cartoon strip created by L.Davis. www.toondoo.com. 6/22/2015.

stick figure pulling hair out: public domain clip art http://www.bing.com/images

No comments:

Post a Comment